My top five television shows for watching right now.
- Person of interest It starts off in a decidedly ordinary way. ‘Yawn’ save the hapless victim by killing the baddie of the week, but if you go with it you soon find out the show is a lot more complex and compelling. The acting is good and the story arc (involving ai and the beginnings of the singularity) will keep you coming back for more.
- Agent Carter. It’s heartening to see a show that tries something different. I know a lot of people tune into these ‘superhero’ shows because they want to see some masked flying men saving the world. (Nothing wrong with that – I’d tune into that show!) Agent Carter shows that a hero can be a woman trying to get through her day. The show highlights the bigotry of the times(set in the 1940’s after WWII) and you know, it would have been fascinating with just that but add in Hydra and Tony Stark’s dad and you get some fireworks.
- Agents of Shield. The first season has been described as being a bit slow. Fact is I enjoyed it immensely and never once thought I’d drop it. Season two is working for me and I can’t wait for march when it comes back. It highlights the usually invisible background of the marvel universe. If you like the marvel universe and have watched the movies you’ll see Agents’ ties in wonderfully and will help your experience of them deepen.
- Black Sails. Alright I love pirates. Always have since watching pirate movies as a kid and this show delivers the kind of pirates that I’ve always imagined. Cruel, back-stabbing, murderous fiends. It does like to throw a few too many nude scenes in there but that’s not always a bad thing. I think the nsfw aspect might detract from the story a bit from time to time. Don’t let that put you off though, it’s well worth a look.
- The Americans. I think the nostalgia of the 80’s brought me to this show originally but the characters kept me watching. The acting is great and the story has lots of twists and turns. Fantastic idea to use the viewpoint of a couple of Russian sleeper agents embroiled in raising a family and undermining 1980’s america. Intelligent and seemingly truthful storytelling.
I would have put Hannibal up there but it’s not on yet. All these shows are currently being shown or have started and are on mid-season hiatus. I may do another list later in the year.
What do you think?